Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tourism Update


Do you have any information on Turkey?
This is just one of the more interesting questions the PECCTAC staff answered this year.
Some other interesting stories from our summer students:

From Elyse Platt:
“What is there to do on a rainy day?” seemed to be the popular question of the summer. Fortunately for me, after two years of working at the Chamber, I have gotten quite good at answering. It’s a good thing for us that the County specializes in tasty county cuisine and wines to warm up damp spirits.
The weather maybe didn’t cooperate with us this summer, but the crowds of happy vacationers continued to pour through our doors.
One of the delights of this job is the opportunity to meet dozens of new people everyday. People come from all over the world to enjoy what the County has to offer. A typical page in our guest book reads “Toronto, Montreal, Toronto, Spain, Switzerland, Montreal, the Netherlands”!
It was interesting to see a newspaper brought in by one visitor, covered in Chinese symbols with “Lake on the Mountain” written in large letters at the top.
Needless to say, working at the Chamber makes me even more thankful that I live in the County.I would like to thank all of our members for being so friendly all summer. Whether you popped by the office, or I spoke to you on the phone, it has been a pleasure working with all of you. Thanks for another great season!
Elyse


From Jarrod Keogh:
It’s been a fast and fantastic summer!
Throughout the last few months, I have had the honourable post of representing and promoting the fine businesses of Prince Edward County.
As a born and bred “County” native, I’ve had the unique experience of watching Prince Edward County develop and blossom into the tourist haven that it is today.
My position at the Chamber this summer has exposed me to many of the exceptional people of Prince Edward; whether they are long-time entrepreneur, migrated business-person, or temporary resident, the sense of teamwork on display as been dazzling and unforgettable.
This job has been an eye-opening experience since the beginning.
Firstly, I learned that my knowledge of the County needed some touching up.
The first time someone asked me where they could go to swim on a sandy beach with little to no people, no parking fees and a place to pitch a tent for free, I was speechless.
Of course, the answer to that question, as I quickly became aware of, is no where.
Thank you to all the members for being helpful and polite. Although it is not a condition when you join the Chamber, we sincerely appreciate everything you have done to make our job a little easier.
Overall, I’ve enjoyed my experience at the Chamber. Would I go as far as to say that it has been spectacular?
No, I would probably have to say this it has been a PECCTAC-ular summer!
Jarrod

From Dylan Marecak:
These are just a few of the answers I gave out this summer:• No, this is not “Sandbanks, Ontario”.• No, you won’t be able to see the 1000 Islands, Sandbanks, Canada’s Wonderland and Wasaga Beach all in one day.• No, there aren’t any single cottages that will accommodate both your 17-person family and your brother’s 19-person family.• No, those real estate prices you’re looking at are not misprints.

Thanks for a great summer,
Dylan

Picture:
L to R: Lawrie; Jan; Elyse; Jarrod; Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment